Dr. Glenn E Haas was a professor in the College of Natural Resources at Colorado State University for 27 years and is now a partner in Haas & Lovejoy Protected Area Advisors.
Haas has served on the national boards of the National Society for Park Resources and the National Parks Conservation Association, and as the Chairman of the Department of Recreation Resources and Tourism at Colorado State University.
He served as the President of the National Association of Recreation Resource Planners. In 2000-2002, Haas worked in Washington, D.C. for the Assistant Secretary for Fish and Wildlife and Parks in the U.S. Department of the Interior, during which time
he chaired the Federal Interagency Task Force on Visitor Capacity on Public Lands and Waters.
Since 2002, Glenn has worked closely with the Bureau of Reclamation in developing of the Water and Land Recreation Opportunity Spectrum (WALROS) system as a means for the recreation profession to inventory, plan, and manage park and recreation opportunities.
The WALROS system is central for developing comprehensive and integrated management plans.
- Integrated Natural Resource Planning
- Park and Protected Area Planning and Management
- Policy Analysis and Development
- Public Collaboration and Facilitation
- Conservation Trusts and Sustainable Revenue Generation
- Nature-based Tourism Development
- Visitor Capacity Analysis
- Leader in developing the U.S. Forest Service’s Limits of Acceptable Change (LAC) policy. LAC is used widely internationally to help monitor and manage protected areas.
- Leader in developing the Belize Protected Conservation Trust (PACT) fund for sustainable revenue generation and the Belize National Park Management Policies.
- Extensive work in the Caribbean working as a sustainable revenue specialist for the Nature Conservancy in Belize, Jamaica, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and Nevis, Grenada, and St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
- Since 2000, Haas has contributed to preparing management plans and visitor capacity issues for Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite National Park, Grand Canyon National Park, Imperial Sand Dunes National Recreation Area, Auburn State
Park, Millerton State Park, Lake Cuchuma State Recreation Area, and Independence Lake.
- Leader in developing a 2007 federal guidebook on Estimating Future Recreation Demand.
Special Interntational Projects
- Prepared the Feasibility Study and subsequent development of the National Commercial Concessions Program for 103 Protected Areas that comprise the Belize National Protected Area System
- Prepared the draft Co-Management Agreements between Non-Government and Community Based Organizations for management of selected Protected Areas in Belize
- Coordinated the proposed first digital pass program for Protected Areas in Belize. This was also the first digital pass program in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Assisted Belize in establishing the country's first National Biodiversity Office, which is part of the management team of the National Protected Area System
- Revenue Generation Strategy for the Protected Areas of Belize (January 1992)
- An Evaluation of the first Five-Year Strategic Plan for the Belize Protected Areas Conservation Trust (May 2000)
- A Financial Strategy for Sustainable Tourism, Resources and Management of the Coastal Zone of Belize - UNDP-Project (June 1, 2001).
- A Comprehensive Protected Areas Fee Policy and Framework in Belize - UNDP-Project (February 24, 2012)
- Carrying Capacity Study Report for the Gladden Spit and Silk Cayes Marine Reserve and Laughing Bird Caye National Park (February 10, 2012)
- Visitor’s Willingness to Increase their Current Contribution to Belize’s Protected Areas Conservation Trust (December 5, 2016)
- A Carrying Capacity Assessment of Four Protected Areas in Jamaica: Dunn’s Falls, Green Grotto Caves, Booby Cay, and Reach Falls (2019)
- The Structure of the Jamaican Protected Areas Conservation Trust - UNDP-Project (August 1, 2014)
- Final Report with Recommendations to the Business and Finance Specialists for the Revenue Streams to Finance the JNPATF - UNDP-Project (December 15, 2014)
- Operations Manual for the Jamaica National Protected Areas Trust Fund - UNDP-Project (October 31, 2014)
- Final Report with Lessons Learned by the Trust Fund Experts - UNDP-Project (June 10, 2015))
St. Lucia & Granada
- Feasibility Report: Sustainable Finance Options to Fund the National Conservation Fund in St. Lucia (December 5, 2014)
- Feasibility Report: Sustainable Finance Options to Fund the National Conservation Fund of Grenada (March 27, 2015)
- Windward Island Marine Trail - an innovative revenue generation strategy for the Windwards (June 6, 2014)
St. Kitts and Nevis
- Rehabilitation and Management of the Basseterre Valley as a Protection Measure for the Underlying Aquifer: Volume 2, A Management Plan for the Proposed National Park in the Basseterre Valley (September 2009)